After creating your character there are some basic things that you will want to do to make it easier for your character to play.
Type AUTO – Typing auto brings up a menu of commands that you can toggle to be automatic or that will affect how you view the mud.
compact mode OFF
combine items ON
group disclose OFF
You cannot be summoned.
You accept followers.
You are not a Clan Leader.
To toggle on or off you simply type the action out.
- autoassist - If you are grouped with other people and your autoassist is on then you will assist them during fighting. This is a good thing to have if you are leveling with a group.
- autoexit – If you have on autoexit this will allow you to see all exits in the room when you enter the room.
- autogold – This will allow you to loot any gold or silver from any of the kills you make.
- autoloot – This will allow you to loot any equipment or items from any of the kills you make.
- autosac – This will allow you to automatically sacrifice any corpses for silver.
- autosplit – This will allow you to divide any gold or silver you loot while you are grouped with other players.
- compact – This removes extra lines in the output messages.
- prompt – This toggles on and off the line that shows you your hp – we will visit how to make prompts customized later.
- combine items – This allows for items to show up with the (5) or whatever number there is before them instead of being listed individually in your inventory.
- disclose – To disclose allows you to either show or hide your current hp/mana/moves to a group.
- nosummon – This determines if you want to be available for summoning or not. However, once you are not a newbie people may be able to summon you even if this is toggled off.
- nofollow – Determines if you allow people to follow you or not.
Once you have setup your autos there is one other feature you can use. The brief command can be used by typing “brief”. Brief will determine whether you see room descriptions or not.
Next you will be able to setup your prompt, this is not an important step to do at level one but it can be helpful.
PROMPT with out an argument will turn your prompt on or off.
PROMPT ALL will give you the standard “<hits mana moves>” prompt.
PROMPT <%*> where the %* are the various variables you may set yourself.
%h : Display your current hits
%H : Display your maximum hits
%m : Display your current mana
%M : Display your maximum mana
%v : Display your current moves
%V : Display your maximum moves
%x : Display your current experience
%X : Display experience to level
%g : Display your gold held
%s : Display silver carried
%a : Display your alignment
%r : Display the room name you are in
%e : Display the exits from the room in NESWDU style
%c : Display a carriage return (useful for multi-line prompts)
%R : Display the vnum you are in (IMMORTAL ONLY)
%z : Display the area name you are in (IMMORTAL ONLY)
%l : Display when you are out of LATELOG (450 ticks)
%f : Display if you are safe, time to safe.
Example: PROMPT <%hhp %mma %vmv>
Will set your prompt to “<100hp 100ma 100mv>”
If you need help in setting up a prompt or are having difficulty then ask either on the “petition” channel or the “OOC” channel.
Basic Commands – Basic commands that you will need to know in order to move about the mud and interact.
- Look - By typing look you are able to look around your current room and see any exits, room descriptions, mobiles, or objects in the room.
- Sit - Allows your character to sit down, you will receive more regeneration by sitting while healing.
- Rest - Allows your character to rest, you will receive more regeneration than sitting or standing while healing.
- Sleep - Allows your character to sleep and not to see anything that is going on in the room, you receive equal regeneration as resting.
- Stand - Takes your character from the sitting, resting, or sleeping positions to a standing position. You must be standing to walk and to attack.
- Directions – By typing east, west, north, south, northwest, northeast, southwest, southeast you are able to move your character from one room to another.
- Inventory – by typing inventory you can look in your inventory to see the items that you currently have on you
- Worth – allows you to see how much gold and silver you have, the amount of experience you have, the amount of experience you have until your next level, and the amount of gold in your bank.
- Score – will give you all the basic information of your character
- Group – will show a list of people you are grouped with
- Equipment – will show you what equipment you are currently wearing
- Who – will show you the people that are currently playing throughout the mud
- OOC – By typing “ooc then your message” you will be sending a message to all of the mud in an out of character way
- IC – By typing “ic then your message” you will be sending a message to all of the mud in an in character way
- Shout – By typing “shout then your message” you will be sending a message to all the mud in an in character way
- Petition – By typing “petition then your message” you will be sending a message to all the imms (used for questions)
- Tell – By typing “tell character_name then your message” you will be sending a message to a specific person that nobody else is able to read.
- Reply – By typing “reply then your message” you will be sending a message to the last person who sent you a tell.
- Say - By typing “say then your message” you will be sending a message to only the people that are currently in the same room as you.
- Gtell - By typing “gtell then your message” you will be sending a message to only the people that you are grouped with.
- Ct - By typing “ct then your message” you will be sending a message to only the people in your clan.
- GDT - By typing “gdt then your message” you will be sending a message to only the people in your guild.
- Wear item_name – Allows you to wear an item from your inventory
- Remove item_name – Allows you to remove an item you are currently wearing and put it in your inventory
- Wield item_name – Allows you to wield a weapon that is in your inventory
- look in container_name – Allows you to look inside of container or portal that is either in your inventory or in the room.
- look item_name – Allows you to look more closely at an item.
- buy item_name – Allows you to buy an item at a vendor
- sell item_name – Allows you to sell an item from your inventory to a vendor.
- list – Allows you to list what the vendor has to sell.
- drink – Allows you to drink from a fountain
- drink container_name – Allows you to drink from a container in your inventory
- fill container_name – Allows you to fill a drink container with water if a fountain is present.
- eat item_name – Allows you to eat an item if it is a pill or a food item.
- quaff item_name – Allows you to quaff a potion from your inventory.
- kill mob_name – Allows you to attack a mob that is in the room with you.
After you have a basic understanding of the different commands you will want to go north of your starting point into the training area for newbies. Your first room will have exits to the East and West.
East – Menthord’s Room of Learning
Here you will practice your skills and spells. Generally speaking most people only practice their skills and spells one time. At a later time you can convert your practices to trains by using the “convert convert” command at a trainer.
West – Nemthord’s Training Room
Here you will be able to train your abilities. When you type “score” it will show a line that appears as:
Str: 12(12) Int: 12(18) Wis: 12(14) Dex: 12(12) Con: 12(12)
As you train your stats and wear equipment the numbers in ( ) will increase. You will want these to match the stats for your race (type help racestats). You need to train each of these stats five times in order to reach your maximum and you can acquire another 7 stats from equipment that you wear. During leveling you want to make sure that you train Intelligence, Wisdom, and Constitution first (this will affect your hp, mana, moves, and practice gains). Strength and Dexterity both need to be trained as well to reach max and they are necessary for fighting. If you have any questions then speak to a Sage or an Immortal for more information.
After you have finished training and practicing take the time to go through the training school. By the time you have finished going through the school you will have a full set of equipment that will allow you to have max stats from equipment. When you are no longer able to get experience from leveling here then check out the page on Areas –> Leveling for more leveling areas that are available based on level.